Selecting the right roofing for your home is perhaps the most important thing that you can do to make your home a better and a secured place. Starting from natural materials like wood and slate to man-made materials such as sheet metal, plastic polymers, and asphalt, there is a variety of roofing to choose from your home. While each has its own share of pros and cons, they all can set a distinctive style to your home. Let’s find out the right roofing for your house.
Things To Look For In A Roof
Before you select a roof for your home, you need to consider a few important details which include:
- How durable is it?
- Can it withstand the harsh climatic conditions or natural disasters such as hurricanes or wildfires?
- Will it compliment the style of the house?
- What is the cost?
- Is it allowed by the local building codes?
- Is the roofing material recyclable or eco-friendly?
- Can the existing roofing frame support the weight of the roofing material?
- The slope of the roof.
The Different Roofing Materials
As already mentioned above, there is a variety of roofing material available among which some of them are stronger than the others. Here is a list of different roofing materials, have a look at it:
- Asphalt Roofing: This is perhaps the most preferred roofing for homes. It comprises almost 80% of the total residential roofing market. However, this type of roofing is not very durable.
- Metal: Metal roofing is comparatively more expensive than asphalt and is also a better option when it comes to durability.
- Plastic Polymer: This type of roofing is known to be long-lasting and resembles either slate or wood shakes.
- Clay Tile: It is true that clay tiles are heavy, but when it comes to durability, they are long-lasting and are low maintenance as well. Also, they are extremely resistant to fire.
- Concrete Tile: Concrete roof tiles are mainly known for their durability and resistance to fire. It is also less expensive than clay tiles.
- Slate: Slate may be the oldest roofing material of all, but it is extremely durable and can resist both wind and fire.
- Wood: Roofing made of wood may look fancy but, they have low resistance and don’t last long.
So select your roofing right and keep safe. If you are looking for good roof replacement services, then try roof replacement Ann Arbor Michigan.